History of Glenburn Public School
From 1905 when the first elementary classes were offered until the present, the history of Glenburn Public School reveals expansion and improvement. The first school, built in 1907, was quickly outgrown and a new school was begun in 1923 with the upper level completed in 1929. Students of 1929 were the first to use the newly installed hot and cold running water and shower baths. The first class to graduate from Glenburn High School was the class of 1922 under Superintendent C. A. Severison. During the twenties GHS sported both boys' and girls' basketball teams and a football team.
School was carried out in a routine fashion during the thirties despite drought and depression. The first annual, called "The Flicker", was produced in 1932. In April of '32, Glenburn Public was closed by Dr. K.O. Knudson due to outbreaks of scarlet fever, measles and pink eye. Students chose "Calling All Stars" for the 1936 prom theme.
The students of the early forties felt the effects of the war in at least one way--there were no proms during those years. Boys' and girls' basketball did carry on as usual. There was yet no hot lunch at school and GHS students had never heard of pizza or tacos. Lutefisk and lefse were, however, part of the local experience. During the late forties the first hard cover annual was printed and a band was reorganized by Supt. Carlson.
In the early fifties, a hot lunch program was started. The middle fifties began to show the results of the post-war population boom on the classroom. One teacher no longer was able to handle two elementary classes. Glenburn was also being redistricted to include several rural districts from the area. This effort was spearheaded by Supt. Curtis Rime. Buses were purchased and routes organized to bring in the country kids. The Memorial Auditorium, dedicated on February 25, 1958, was built to accommodate growing needs while the old gym was converted into better lunch facilities. Plans were under way for a new high school to alleviate the crowded conditions.
The current high school was dedicated in 1961 with facilities to add home economics to the curriculum, with better science equipment, but still no music room for the band reformed in 1960. Other highlights of the sixties were a trip to the state boys' basketbll tournament in '62, new band uniforms, and the first all-school reunion in 1967.
Several sports were revived or enhanced during the seventies including girls' basketball and a football team. A track was built west of the school. More expansion was needed for the high school so additions to the existing buildings were made for class space, shop facilities, and a new lobby and bleachers for the gym. GHS again went to state boys' basketball competition in 1973.
Once more in the eighties a building project was necessary to meet growing needs and to replace the school built in 1923 which no longer met building codes and fire laws. An elementary wing was extended north of the high school. In addition to nine classrooms, it includes a music room, a kitchen, and the "multipurpose room", which serves as a lunch room, physical education space, and an auditorium. Alumni were saddened to see the two-story brick landmark come down. The curriculum offered in the eighties was much the same as the sixties and seventies with one exception: computers.
The 90's brought Glenburn School a new media center, new gym, and some new classrooms. The boys basketball went to state in 1996 and 1997, taking 2nd in the state in '97.